Translate Our Page!

Friday, April 8, 2011

Berries Galore!


Many years ago, this was the site of the vegetable garden. It made sense for it to be here for Grandpa Cecil and Grandma Jeanne when their house was the only house on the property and just up the hill. Since then the vegetable garden has been relocated closer to the (now) main house and this area had been forgotten and overgrown. I was given the task to use the bush-hog and clean it up again!

Now, I wish I had taken "before" pictures, because then it would be more evident the amount of sheer destruction that was necessary to get this area looking the way it does now. The berry patches to the right were planted before I got here, so the goal was to rescue them and lose all the rest. MAN! Wild blueberry and blackberry bushes had moved in and taken over! Wild berry plants aren't the best because they're incredibly invasive, hard to control, HUGE, have more thorns than just about anything, and yield a tiny amount of fruit given the amount of landscape they take over. The wild plants were choking out the berries we had planted and want to keep. The thick thorny stalks of the wild berry bushes were taller then the tractor! I kept losing my hat and catching my clothes on all the thorns and getting smacked in the face by the branches caught on the tractor...it was a lively experience. I'm glad to report that I've survived the ordeal. Haha! Now the remaining berry plants we wanted to keep have been replanted and are enjoying their un-compromised sunlight!

No comments:

Post a Comment